SERVING SIZE: 1 patty (1/2 cup)
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10-15 minutes
½ cup leftover brown rice
1 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup frozen corn
1 small onion, diced
2 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Add corn, paprika and cumin and heat for 2 more minutes until corn is cooked.
4. Rinse and drain black beans in a separate bowl, then mash with a fork.
5. Combine onion, corn, spices, brown rice and mashed black beans in large bowl and stir.
6. Form into 4 (1 ½ inch thick) patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
7. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat, cook patties for 2-3 minutes per side.
-Serve on a whole wheat bun or english muffin
-Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, avocados, and shredded cheese
Recipe submitted by Mount Mary University Dietetics Department