SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 25-30 minutes
Stove or hot plate
1/3 cup red lentils
1 ½ cups whole grain noodles
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 2 bouillon cubes
2 Tablespoons dried, minced onion
2 teaspoons parsley flakes (optional)
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
1 13 ounce can of chicken with liquid
1 16 ounce bag frozen vegetables (carrots, corn or mixed vegetables work well)
1. Bring 7 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
2. Add lentils, chicken bouillon and seasonings.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add noodles, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Break chicken apart with a fork.
6. Add frozen vegetables and can of chicken.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken is heated through.
-You can substitute 2 cans of mixed vegetables for frozen. Drain and rinse canned vegetables or use a low sodium version.
-For a gluten free version, substitute brown rice for noodles and simmer for 50 minutes.
Recipe submitted by Mount Mary University Dietetics Department