SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 4 hours with quick method, longer with overnight soak
Stove and large pot or slow cooker
1 1/2 cups total of several types of dry beans such as pinto, red, black, and navy
1/4 cup pearl barley
1 Tablespoon beef bouillon powder or 2 bouillon cubes
3 Tablespoons dried, minced onion
1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
To Prepare Beans:
1. Sort and remove broken, dirty or shriveled beans.
2. Pour beans into a pot or colander and rinse well under cold water.
3. Place beans in large pot with 8 cups of water and soak overnight.
4. Or, use Quick Method: bring water and beans to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and soak for 1 ½ hours.
5. Drain and rinse the beans.
Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Directions:
1. Put prepared beans, barley and seasonings in slow cooker. Cover with 4 cups cold water.
2. Set slow cooker on low to cook 8 or more hours. Set on high to cook 6 to 8 hours. Simmer until beans are tender. Add more water if needed.
3. Add the tomatoes and simmer until hot. If added too soon the beans may be hard.
1. Put prepared beans in large pot with 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil.
2. Add seasonings and barley. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Check often to make sure beans don’t dry out. Add more water if needed.
3. Add tomatoes and simmer until hot.
-For a spicier version, add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Or, replace 28 ounce can of tomatoes with one 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies, and one 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes.
-Add 1/2 pound of cooked chicken, or cooked ground or diced beef.
-For a gluten free version, quinoa or brown rice can be substituted for barleyQuick version: use three 15 ounce cans of beans instead of dry beans. Drain and rinse beans before using them to reduce salt by 1/3 to 1/2.
Recipe submitted by Mount Mary University Dietetics Department