SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 4 hours quick bean method, longer for crockpot or overnight soak
Stove and large pot or crockpot
1 pound (2 1/2 cups) dry beans such as pinto, red or black beans
1/2 cup bulgur
1/3 cup dried, minced onion or 1 diced fresh onion
1 Tablespoon garlic powder or minced garlic
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
To Prepare Beans:
1. Sort and remove broken, dirty or shriveled beans.
2. Pour beans into a pot or colander and rinse well under cold water.
3. Place beans in a large pot with 8 cups of water and soak overnight. Or, use Quick Method: bring water and beans to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and soak for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Drain and rinse the beans.
Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Directions:
1. Put prepared beans, bulgur and seasonings in slow cooker. Cover beans with 5 cups cold water.
2. Set slow cooker on low to cook 8 or more hours. Set on high to cook for 5-7 hours.
3. Simmer until beans are tender.
4. Add the tomatoes and simmer until hot. If added too soon the beans may be hard. Add more water if needed.
1. Put prepared beans in a large pot with 5 cups cold water. Bring to a boil.
2. Add seasonings. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Check often to make sure beans don’t dry out. Add more water if needed.
3. Add tomatoes and bulgur. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
-Substitute one 15 ounce can of tomato sauce and one 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes. No need to add salt.
-For a gluten free version, quinoa or brown rice can be substituted for the bulgur.
Recipe submitted by Mount Mary University Dietetics Department