SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour
Medium casserole dish
Small sauce pan
Oven and stove
2 cup instant brown rice or 1 1/3 cups regular brown rice, dry
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 15 ounce can yellow whole kernel corn, no salt added
1 15 ounce can black beans, low salt
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon chili powder
¾ cup low-fat cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded lettuce, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook rice as stated on package.
3. Drain liquid from tomato, corn, and bean cans.
4. Mix cooked brown rice, tomatoes, corn, beans, cheese, garlic powder, and chili powder in a casserole dish.
5. Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
6. Add shredded lettuce if desired.
-Cook regular brown rice in advance and freeze until needed for a quicker meal.
-Eat with tortilla chips to add some crunch!
Recipe submitted by Mount Mary University Dietetics Department